Saturday, April 17, 2010

Naptime: Movies I've Fallen Asleep During

Inspired by a Jonny and Reed's discussion on their Gene Shalit Power Hour podcast, I decided to create an ever-growing list of Movies I've Fallen Asleep During.

After a traumatic LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring viewing, my friends dragged me watch the second installment completely against my will.  The Two Towers slipped me into a deep coma that couldn't even be interrupted by sword fights, dragons, or whatever the hell those movies tried to distract everyone with.

The year was 1999.  A friend and I had played N64 long into the night before dragging ourselves to an afternoon screening of Godzilla 2000.  For some reason, I don't ever fall asleep during the movies you'd expect.  I made it through Emma, A Taste of Cherry, and The Hours but for some reason, a giant lizard destroying downtown Tokyo makes my eyelids heavy.

Not every movienap experience happens at a movie theater.  Some happen at home.  I once fell asleep during a repeat viewing of Recess: School's Out.  I had seen it before so it wasn't a big deal (you don't want to miss the plot details of Recess: School's Out) but when I woke up later, the DVD menu screen was playing.  Here's where everything goes terribly wrong.  I only slightly woke up, was still too tired to get up, and had no power to turn off the TV.  On top of all that, the Recess menu screen is the most ANNOYING menu screen of all-time.  Its runtime is about 5 seconds, it plays the beginning of the Recess theme song, and does. not. stop.  Worst half hour of my life. 

More to come...

3 comments:

xTJMac510x said...

Yeah I fell asleep during Recess Schools Out (I'm with you on the menu) and I've fallen asleep during Godzilla 2000 but my biggest sleepers are the Resident Evil films...it's hard to stay awake during those movies

elgringo said...

Isn't that menu awful?
I've never seen any of the Resident Evil movies. Never thought they looked any good.

Jonny said...

Interesting. So, it seems to me that you tend to fall asleep during actions movies. So when Transformers 3: Re-Revenge of the Autobots comes out, will you in fact slip into an actual coma? (Assuming, of course, that you'd see it in theaters...)