Thursday, February 19, 2009

Unexcited.

The Oscars are usually one of the highlights of my year. This year, I'm throwing a party just to get myself excited. Part of the reason I'm underwhelmed by the ceremony is because I've hardly seen any of the nominated films. I doubt I will either.

Justify FullApparently, Slumdog Millionaire is the cinematic equivalent of Christ's second coming. My reaction to both events are the same: I'll get around to checking it out...probably.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: [INSERT STANDARD "I'VE ALREADY SEEN FORREST GUMP" JOKE] I just haven't been in the mood for a rehashing of an over-rated Oscar champ. Maybe that'll change after next year's Hindenburg, a moving tale about a poor naval officer who meets an upper-class debutante aboard a German rigid airship headed towards disaster.

I will see Milk before Sunday. Besides The Wrestler and Frozen River, Milk is the only Must-See nominee in my opinion. I knew an extra in the candlelight vigil scene. She said watching James Franco cry was the most beautiful thing she'd ever seen.

Mark my words: Frost/Nixon is this year's Michael Clayton. In two months, no one will even remember it ever existed.

Somehow, I did end up watching The Reader. Haha. You can read my review here. I think it sums up my thoughts about this "Best Picture" nominee.

"An uncontrollable Meh."
That's how I feel about this year's Oscar's ceremony.

ALTHOUGH...
MICHAEL SHANNON
IS NOMINATED!

4 comments:

Caitlin said...

I'm seeing all five Best Pic nominees tomorrow - straight - from 9 in the morning until the late night hours.

I'm enthused about Milk. Slumdog, not so much. And I keep hearing consistently awful things about The Reader...

Daniel said...

Oh man, I couldn't be more excited! Well actually, I'm just as excited every year, no matter the nominees. Cuz' it's not about them for me - it's about just celebrating another year in film, period.

Wait for the Slumdog backlash to subside - wait a couple months, maybe. Then check it out.

elgringo said...

Caitlin - You should read my review AFTER you see the movie, it's pretty spoiler-heavy. I can't wait to read your reviews on them.

Daniel G. - Good advice on Slumdog. I think I will wait, go into it with a fresh mindset.

Joel Bocko said...

I actually kind of liked Michael Clayton. Though no masterpiece, it was an extremely involving and elegant thriller.