Friday, July 11, 2008

7 Words about 7 Movies

Joe said He Shot Cyrus needed more Top 5 Lists. Top 5? Try TOP 7!
Here they are, folks.
Three lists. Seven months. Seven movies. Seven words.


Also, you should write your own lists.
These lists are really get some conversations going.
Tell me what you love. Tell me what you hate.
Thanks in advance.


Top 7 Movies of the Year (...so far...)


7. The Flight of the Red Balloon
Minimalist homage to a
French childhood favorite.

6. Miss Pettigrew
Lives for a Day

Adorable Amy Adams.
Acting Goddess
Frances McDormand.

5. Be Kind Rewind
Made by someone who
really loves movies.

4. Dear Zachary: A Letter
to a Son About His Father
Have to see it to believe it.

3. The Strangers
I liked it more
than most people.

2. The Fall
Visually stunning.
Mind-blowingly beautiful.
Thanks, Kaleen!

1. Shotgun Stories
Best 2008 movie you haven't seen yet.



Top 7 I Want to See

7. Funny Games - Shot-by-shot remake. Worth watching again?
6. The Visitor - It's probably better than the trailer looks.
5. My Blueberry Nights - Wong Kar-Wai + Norah Jones = my excitement
4. Paranoid Park - Strongly recommended by a friend. Movie night?
3. Teeth - She has teeth in her vagina! WHAT?
2. In Bruges - People keep telling me it's actually great.
1. The Wackness - 1994 Soundtrack: Biggie, Nas, Tribe, Wu-Tang, Biz



Top 7 Disappointments

7. Great technique, could have done much more
- Cloverfield
6. Just kidding, I knew it'd be terrible - 27 Dresses
5. Only took fifteen to solve the mystery - 88 Minutes
4. Why, Tina Fey, why? Back to TV! - Baby Mama
3. At least there wasn't a twist ending... - The Happening
2. Loved his other work, not this one - Meet the Browns
1. Ripped off fifteen movies all at once - Doomsday



There you go. Let me know what you think. Now, write up your own lists!

12 comments:

Megan said...

Jeez, I haven't seen a single one. (Hangs head in shame.)

Anonymous said...

Yay The Fall! I was so happy to see it on there! You are quite welome. I'm glad I got to see it a second time.

Kimberly Grafton said...

Okay, so the only one on your list that I've seen is Be Kind Rewind. I just watched it and LOVED it. I laughed, I cried, and I almost peed my pants when Jack Black put on an afro and I swore for a second it was you!

elgringo said...

Kim - I've often been likened to a mixture of Jack Black and Will Ferrell.

Kaleen - You rule. Thanks so much for recommending The Fall. If I hadn't seen it that day who knows if I EVER would have seen it? If I had died without watching The Fall, I would have died sad.

Megan - You better step your game up!

And to all of you, what's your Top 7 of the year?

a. said...

Be Kind Rewind was great, especially when they had the dead guy with the pizza under his head...

I rented My Blueberry Nights today!

In Bruges was definitely very good. Colin Farrell at his best, but unfortunately that isn't saying all that much. :)

Daniel said...

Haha, this is great.

Of your want to sees, I'd go with #'s 1,2,4,5 and 6, in no particular order.

You're now the umpteenth person I've seen love on Shotgun Stories. Curses that I've missed it to date...

elgringo said...

Daniel G, Shotgun Stories JUST came out on DVD on Tuesday. Throw it up to the top of the ol' Netflix queue and enjoy.

Annie Ha, welcome to He Shot Cyrus. I love that Boyz n the Hood scene so much.

Come back here and let me know what you thought of My Blueberry Nights.

Keith said...

Funny Games is totally worth watching again. My Blueberry Nights is unfortunately kind of shitty, and keep in mind I say this as somebody who has seen everything Wong Kar Wai has ever touched, or thought of touching. I'm basically in love with him. Paranoid Park is really good. Teeth is a lot less awesome than you'd think. Well, it was less awesome than I thought anyway. In Bruges, on the other hand, was much better than I expected.

And Doomsday was the closest I've come to walking out of a theater in a long time. It was AIDS in film form.

Hmmm... I'd put my list up, but I have a feeling it'd probably just end up being Tokyo Gore Police listed seven times, and that's no help to anybody!

Anonymous said...

The Visitor is DEFINITELY worth watching. It's up there with The Station Agent.

elgringo said...

Keith, it's help to me, the guy who needs seven constant reminders to watch Tokyo Gore Police.

a. said...

My Blueberry Nights was good enough. It was very Hong Kong Art House and would have been better if it was really a Hong Kong Art House movie. But good enough, man, good enough. Rachel Weiss is phenomenal as always, Natalie Portman is better than Norah Jones, but overall an aesthetically appealing piece...

Anonymous said...

I agree with many points. But in some areas, I feel we need to be more aggressive. Just my opinion. Love ya. jasmine bridal Louboutin Shoes Pigalle Christian Louboutin. Evening Dresses